In 1918, Andrew Jackson Zilker deeded 35 acres surrounding Barton Springs to the City of Austin. Most of the first homes in the Zilker area were constructed in the late 1920s. Much of the west end of Zilker was owned by Vincent Canizzo until the late 1940s when the City of Austin, using eminent domain, forced him to sell the land on which Zilker Elementary currently sits. Shortly thereafter, the remaining land — from Ann Arbor Road to Rabb Road — was split into the Canizzo Subdivision.
Read more about the history of the Zilker neighborhood: